Children Health Information
Immunizations (also called vaccinations or shots) are an important part of a child's health and well being. They allow children to resist catching a number of very serious or fatal diseases.
- Without immunizations, children can catch contagious diseases that cause high fevers, severe coughing, choking, breathing problems, seizures, brain damage or even death.
- When children get their immunizations on time, the chances of getting these diseases is very small.
- Immunizations need to be started at birth and the primary series should be completed by the time the child is 2 years old.
- The law in many states, including Texas, will not allow a child to start school until they have been immunized.
- Immunizations are available free or at a very low cost in a number of pediatrician's offices, community health clinics and local health departments.