About the Committee
The Office of Sustainability established the Sustainability Committee in the fall of 2012. The committee is comprised of faculty, staff, and students from departments and schools all over campus and is therefore a representation of the campus community.
The mission of the committee is to promote sustainability within the campus community and larger Fort Worth community and support our university’s mission of improving the health and quality of life for Texans and beyond. The Sustainability Committee will support the Office of Sustainability’s efforts and UNTHSC’s mission by striving to improve the environmental health and quality of life for our campus community, Fort Worth population, and beyond for present and future generations. The committee’s purpose is to:
- Advance sustainable practices on campus through education, events and activities, outreach, and operations in partnership with the Office of Sustainability.
- Enhance communication among the campus community regarding sustainability efforts and practices.
- Provide suggestions regarding sustainability improvements on campus and review documents from the Office of Sustainability.
- Vote on campus initiatives that use funds from the Environmental Service Fee.
Committee members serve 1 year terms from September 1 - August 31. Staff and faculty volunteer to serve on the committee while students are appointed by their student government. Each student government (5 total) appoints between 1 - 3 students to serve on the committee. This ensures that each student group is represented within the committee. To see a complete list of committee members, please visit the committee profile.Budget
The Sustainability Committee's budget comes from the Environmental Service Fee, a fee collected from students each semester. The fee was proposed and adopted by the students in 2010 and began to be collected in spring of 2011 as authorized in accordance with Texas Education Code Sec. 54.5041. Students pay a maximum of $30 annually for the fee, and the fee generates approximately $45,000 per year. The
Office of Sustainability and Sustainability Committee use these funds in
accordance with the legislation.
Within the Sustainability Committee, there are subcommittees tasked with more specific goals that align with the overall mission and purpose of the committee. These currently include:
- Earth Day - plan the Earth Day event to be held in April every year
- Bylaws - draft the bylaws for the committee
- Community Garden - research, plan, and develop a UNTHSC community garden
- Campus Outreach - focus on motivating and educating our campus to be more sustainable and advertising services available to us such as public transportation
- Recycling - focus on ways to make our recycling program more efficient
- Energy - focus on energy conservation measures
- Budget - oversee the committee's budget
- Green Office - develop and launch a green office program