Student Health Insurance
Beginning Fall 2014 Aetna Student Health became the new insurance provider of the UNT Health Science Center. Information about the new policy can be found below under "Benefits".
ATTENTION INCOMING DOMESTIC GRADUATE SCHOOL AND PUBLIC HEALTH STUDENTS. Coverage may be purchased on an as needed basis. *This does not remove the requirement listed below to maintain health coverage while enrolled. International Students are required to enroll in the school plan unless current policy meets the requirements listed below.
All students are required to have health insurance and must obtain and maintain health insurance coverage while enrolled at the UNT Health Science Center. Students who find themselves without coverage due to age limitations or employment changes should contact Student Health Insurance to obtain insurance coverage information as soon as possible.
Continuing Student Enrollment - COMING
Waiver site - CURRENT DO/PA/PT STUDENTS ONLY.
Incoming students will be given instructions during orientation.
For customer service questions related to United Healthcare Student Resources call 866-429-4868
For customer service questions related to Aetna Student Health call 877-410-6570
Contact Student Health Insurance in the Office of Student Affairs at 817-735-2505.
• New student enrollment and waiver of insurance information will be provided during orientation.
TCOM, SHP (PA-PT), College of Pharmacy
Students enrolled in the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, School of Health Professions and the College of Pharmacy are required to enroll in an annual plan or waive out with the understanding that their insurance must be in effect for the full school year and meet the minimum comparable coverage guidelines as outlined below.
GSBS and SPH
Beginning Fall 2014
All registered international students, scholars, or other persons with a current passport and student visa engaged in educational activities at the HSC are required to enroll in the university sponsored plan, or provide documentation of comparable coverage through the online waiver management system.
Degree-seeking students in ONLINE ONLY programs are exempt from this requirement.
|Next enrollment period will be Fall 2014. For short-term coverage, contact
Student Health Insurance
Summer 2014 or short-term coverage, contact
Comparable Coverage: Insurance coverage must meet the minimum standards as outlined by the federal government's Affordable Care Act in addition to the following:
• Include inpatient care in the DFW area (including mental health coverage)
• Provide outpatient care (including office visits, outpatient mental health, emergency/urgent care and ancillary procedures).
• Prescription drug coverage
Comparable coverage for International students
• Have a government sponsored insurance plan provided by your home government that is funding your students and cost of living while attending UNTHSC
• Have a health insurance coverage through a U.S. employer group policy OR be a dependent on a spouse or family member's policy through a U.S. employer group
• Repatriation insurance coverage of at least $10,000*
• Evacuation insurance coverage of at least $7,500.*
*If your plan does not include repatriation and evacuation, but meets all other criteria, a separate policy covering repatriation insurance may be purchased.
Should you have further questions you may contact Student Health Insurance in the Office of Student Affairs at 817-735-2505.
Michelle's Law prohibits group plans from terminating a college student's health insurance coverage based on the student taking a medically necessary leave of absence from school or changing to a part-time status. Coverage is extended for at least one year.
The key requirements are:
- Must be medically necessary
- Must have written certification by the physician recommending the leave or change in enrollment status
- Student must have been enrolled in the group plan before the first day of leave
- Student is responsible for the cost of coverage
Click here for information relative to the Student Health Clinic.