Rural Fast Facts
Rural Medicine in Texas - Fast Facts
Of Texas' 177 rural counties:
- 117 qualify as whole county Health Professional Shortage Areas (HPSAs)
- 24 have no primary care physicians
- 19 have only one primary care physician
- 47 have no healthcare clinics
- 1,805,842 Texans live in whole county HPSAs
- 3,398,192 live in partial county and special population HPSAs
- 179 of Texas' 254 counties are designated as whole county Medically Underserved Areas (MUAs).
There are 108 partial county MUAs in 44 Texas counties.
Information from the Texas Department of State Health Services and the Texas Department of Rural Affairs.
For more information about the UNT Health Science Center's rural medicine education, contact the media office at 817-735-2446.