Maintaining F1 Status
In order to be eligible for F-1 status benefits such as Optional Practical Training (OPT), on-campus employment, program transfer, change of status, etc; you must maintain your immigration status. In order to maintain your status, you must:
1. Maintain a full-course of study: as defined by your program.
2. Refrain from unauthorized employment and do not work more than 20 hours per week in your on-campus employment position.
3. Have your I-20 signed by International Student Services for travel outside the US.
4. Attend the school you are authorized to attend on your I-20. You must follow both USCIS and university transfer procedures to attend a new school.
5. Complete your program by the anticipated completion date on your I-20. If you cannot finish your program requirements by your I-20 completion date, follow extension procedures with International Student & Scholar Services.
6. Receive a new I-20 when transferring from one level to another or from one degree to another at the same university.
7. Have a valid, un-expired passport.
8. Notify International Student & Scholar Services and the Office of the Registrar of any change in residence or mailing address within 10 days of the change.