Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA on the Web) is the only application students are required to complete in order to apply for financial aid at the Health Science Center. Students who complete the aid application process are considered for all federal, state, and university student financial aid programs. Some programs are first-come, first-served, so please apply as soon as possible after January 1st for the upcoming school year.

Who can apply for aid?

While most students can apply for aid, there are some federal guidelines that determine eligibility.

· Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen

· Have a valid Social Security number

· Be accepted for admission by the university and enrolled in a degree or certification program

· Not be in default on any Title IV loan (Federal Perkins Loan or Federal Stafford Loan) or owe a refund or repayment on educational funds received at any institution

· Be registered with the Selective Service, if required

· Enroll in and maintain at least a half-time class load at UNTHSC and demonstrate satisfactory academic progress

Do I need to provide my parent's information on the FAFSA?

The UNTHSC Financial Aid Office does not require parent's data to be provided on the FAFSA.  Some schools you are applying to may require parent's data on the FAFSA, so you may want to check with each financial aid office before submitting your application.

Am I considered independent or dependent?

As a Graduate/Professional student you are considered independent, even if your parents claimed you on their federal income tax return.  

What is the school code I should use when completing the FAFSA for the University of North Texas Health Science Center?


Can an International Student Apply for Financial Aid?

International students are not eligible for federal financial aid.  However, International students who are also Texas residents may be eligible for state aid by completing the Texas Application for Student Financial Aid (TASFA).  Our university also offers the International TPEG grant to international students who are charged out-of-state tuition.  That is a paper application that comes out in November each year.  To be eligible for this grant, a student has to have completed at least 18 hours at the Health Science Center. Private Education loans may also be available to international students.  Students should be pursued through the lending institution of your choice.

Will my financial aid automatically be renewed each year?

No. You must apply each year. Changes in federal regulations, educational costs and your family circumstances make it necessary to evaluate your eligibility each year. To continue your eligibility, you also must meet satisfactory academic progress guidelines. You may complete a renewal FAFSA on the web as early as Jan. 1st of each year at www.fafsa.ed.gov.

If I drop a course or withdraw, what will happen to my financial aid?

Dropping courses and/or withdrawing from classes are academic actions that often have financial implications. These implications can be different for each student depending on what type of aid you received, when you withdraw, or how many hours you are still enrolled in if you drop a course. It is your responsibility to understand the effects that these actions will have on your student financial aid. If you are considering dropping a course or withdrawing from classes at UNTHSC, we highly encourage you to contact the Financial Aid Office in order to go over specific implications of these actions.

How do I apply for scholarships at the University of North Texas Health Science Center?

The Financial Aid Office will e-mail students when scholarship opportunities arise with the scholarship criteria and detailed information on the application process because each application varies.  Current scholarship opportunities will also be posted to the UNTHSC Financial Aid Office website.

Are there sufficient loan resources to finance my graduate education?

Government lending limits are much higher at the Graduate/Professional level than with undergraduate programs. The majority of our students get their full Cost of Attendance Budget met with a combination of federal and institutional loans. Other students do have to pursue credit based options, but our office can assist you with that process as well.

How do I obtain payment deferment on my undergraduate loans?

You must file a student loan deferment form with each "holder" of your student loans. A holder is the lender (e.g. your school or bank) or its designated servicer (e.g. Sallie Mae, ACS, Brazos, etc.). You should obtain the form from the bank or servicer. You must have your enrollment certified by the Registrar and follow the mailing instructions which should accompany the form. You should keep a copy of the form, and follow up with the addressee to be sure your form was received and your deferment status activated.

What is the Federal Work-Study program and how do I qualify?

Work-Study is a federal student employment program which provides job opportunities in career-related positions for students who wish to earn funds to pay for school. The federal government subsidizes the wages of participating students so that the employer has to pay only 25% of the student's wages. A student's eligibility is based upon financial need. Students apply for work-study by first applying for financial aid and then subsequently submitting a Work-Study application to the employer offering the position. Participating students are responsible for finding their own jobs; information on available positions is available from the Financial Aid Office or you can look for available jobs at http://www.hsc.unt.edu/departments/financialaid/jobopps.cfm. Your Financial Aid Officer can provide you with an estimate of your eligibility for Work-Study.

What is consolidation?

A consolidation loan combines several student loans into one larger loan from a single lender. The consolidation loan is used to pay off the balances on the other federal student loans. Consolidation has many benefits, but is not necessarily right for everyone. For information on consolidating your loans, click the link below.


How many credit hours are required for full-time or half-time enrollment in my program?

T.C.O.M., D.P.T. and P.A.

Students enrolled in these programs are considered Full-time by the FAO and the Registrar’s Office.


To be considered Full-time, students must be enrolled in at least:

Long semesters (fall & spring) 9 hours per semester

Summer                                   6 semester hours

Students working on a thesis, dissertation or professional report can also be considered Full-time.

To be considered Half-time, students must be enrolled in at least:

Long semesters                        5 hours per semester

Summer                                   3 semester hours


To be considered Full-time, students must be enrolled in at least:

Long semesters (fall & spring) 12 hours per semester

Summer                                   6 semester hours

To be considered Half-time, students must be enrolled in at least:

Long semesters                        5 hours per semester

Summer                                   3 semester hours

©University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth This site managed by Kristi Wolfe, Scholarship and Grant Program Coordinator. For technical questions contact the webmaster .

This page last updated 24th Jul 2013