Important dates for applicants applying to the MPAS Class of 2017
· CASPA E-Submission Deadline: November 1, 2013
· Supplemental Application Deadline: November 15, 2013
· Supplemental Application Fee Deadline: November 15, 2013
· GRE Score Report Deadline: December 1, 2013
· Prerequisite Course Completion Deadline: December 31, 2013
Note: Applicants must submit the CASPA, UNTHSC Supplemental Application, non-refundable Supplemental Application Fee and official GRE Score Report to be eligible for admission. No incomplete applications will be considered and no application materials will be accepted after the published deadlines. Due to the limited number of seats and our policy of offering admission on a rolling basis, applicants are strongly encouraged to complete the application process early in our cycle.
· Applicants must earn a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States prior to matriculation into the MPAS program.
· Applicants must achieve a minimum overall GPA of 2.85 as calculated by CASPA.
· Applicants must complete all of the prerequisite course requirements by the published deadline.
· Applicants must submit a minimum of two letters of professional reference through the CASPA application. A letter from a practicing PA is highly recommended.
Note: There are no waivers or exceptions to any admissions requirements.
Applicants can initiate and submit the Supplemental Application anytime after being issued a CASPA ID number. Applicants do not need to wait for the CASPA application to be verified in order to submit the Supplemental Application.
All applicants are required to submit Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test scores that were received no more than five years prior to the date of application. No minimum GRE scores are required; however, scores will be taken into consideration during the competitive application review process. The GRE reporting code for the MPAS Program is 6380.
The application fee is payable by check or money order issued to UNT Health Science Center. Temporary or starter checks are not accepted. The application fee can be mailed directly to PA Admissions at:
UNT Health Science Center PA Admissions 3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard Fort Worth, TX 76107-2699
Prerequisite courses may be in progress or planned at the time of your application, however, all prerequisite coursework must be completed by December 31st of the year you apply.
Prerequisite requirements cannot be waived and exceptions/substitutions are not permitted.
Prerequisite coursework must be satisfied with a grade of “C” or higher (2.0 on a 4.0 scale).
One course cannot be used simultaneously to meet more than one prerequisite requirement.
· General or Introductory Psychology – 3 Semester Credit Hours
· Psychology, Sociology or Anthropology – 3 Semester Credit Hours
· College Algebra or higher – 3 Semester Credit Hours
· Statistics – 3 Semester Credit Hours
· Anatomy and Physiology with Lab – 8 Semester Credit Hours
· Organic Chemistry with Lab – 4 Semester Credit Hours
· Microbiology with Lab – 4 Semester Credit Hours
· Immunology or Genetics – 3 Semester Credit Hours
· Upper-Level Biochemistry or Upper-Level Cell Biology – 3 Semester Credit Hours
Note: All science coursework must be intended for science majors.
If you have a question about whether a particular course satisfies our prerequisite requirement, contact us and provide the course number, course description and title, catalog link and the name of the institution for review.
Applicant Selection Factors
In reviewing applications for interview selection and acceptance, we evaluate many factors that help us examine the qualities that you bring to our program. Those factors include:
· Academic background
· Direct patient care or healthcare-related experiences
· PA mentorship/shadowing experiences
· Understanding of the role of the PA
· Letters of reference (or support)
· Community service
· Honors, achievements and awards
· Other life experiences and extracurricular activities
· Applicant's personal interview
Although an applicant's entire academic record is considered, this alone does not ensure acceptance. While prior experience in a health care setting is not required, this experience is considered a beneficial attribute and viewed positively by the Admissions Committee. PA mentorship and shadowing experiences are not required, but are encouraged. Letters of reference from a physician assistant or physician are strongly encouraged. Evidence of personal integrity, maturity, motivation, communication skills, interpersonal skills, critical thinking skills, writing ability, dedication and the ability to work with others are additional factors that will be considered. The above qualities are evaluated by several means, including letters of reference, the scope and nature of extracurricular activities (including work and volunteer experience), the scope and breadth of prior education and through the interview process.
Selected applicants will be invited to the UNT Health Science Center in Fort Worth for an admissions interview. Interviews generally take place on campus from September to early March. Interviews may end sooner if the class is filled. Candidates that are invited to interview will be contacted by phone or email. Declining an invitation or failing to appear for a scheduled interview will result in rejection of your application. Early submission of your application can increase your chances of interview selection. Interview results are confidential and are considered in the competitive selection process.
Offers of Admission
The PA program may make admission offers as early as October. Offers will be continuously made until the class is filled.
Applicants are considered without regard to age, race, creed, sex, national origin, veteran’s status or disability. All applicants are required to meet the posted Health and Technical Standards in order to participate in the MPAS degree program.
Additional information about admission policies and selection factors can be found in our list of Frequently Asked Questions.