Policies and Procedures
The University of North Texas System Board of Regents establishes the authority for the System, the System Administration, and the Institutions to approve and execute contracts pursuant to Texas Education Code § 105.108. All contracts entered into by the System, UNT or UNT Health Science Center must comply with State of Texas requirements, and adhere to the requirements of the Regents Rules.
The Fiscal Manual provides the following policy statements:
- The authority to contract on behalf of UNT Health Science Center exists with the Board of Regents, the Chancellor, the President, and the duly authorized Vice Presidents.
- The Board of Regents has delegated specific authority to the President of UNT Health Science Center to enter into certain contracts including clinical affiliations with hospitals, health care agencies, and other educational institutions on behalf of UNT Health Science Center.
- The Vice President for Finance & CFO shall sign all contracts concerning administrative matters or requiring the receipt, disbursement, or obligation of funds, unless otherwise specified in writing. Contracts containing fiscal obligations but also concerning academic matters must first be reviewed and signed by the Provost & Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs. A contract may need review by other departments such as BSC Purchasing, Information Resources and Technology, or Facilities Management and Construction, depending upon the nature of the contract.
- A contract related to a purchase must not be sent to the vendor without an attached and approved purchase order or other proper UNT System BSC Purchasing procedure being completed.
- No employee (faculty and/or staff) has the authority to incur any obligation or enter into a contract and/or agreement on behalf of UNT Health Science Center unless authority to do so has been expressly delegated in writing by a duly authorized representative of UNT Health Science Center.
- No student may be delegated any authority to contract on behalf of UNT Health Science Center.
- Oral contracts are prohibited.
- Individuals who violate this policy by entering into contracts and/or agreements without proper authority, or by forwarding a contract and/or agreement to a vendor without the required purchase order or other approved purchasing procedures, may be personally liable for the contract and/or agreement. Violations of this policy may be further punishable by disciplinary action which may include suspension and/or termination under applicable UNT Health Science Center policies. Due process procedures must be followed in the implementation of said penalties.
- This policy is in addition to and not in lieu of any other UNT Health Science Center policy(s).
Please visit the Training link to see the procedures for routing business contracts at UNT Health Science Center.