Master of Public Health Professional Option
Now Available Online!
Master of Public Health Professional Option: This 42 semester credit hour program is an interdisciplinary degree that provides education and training for professionals in any field who want to strengthen their general knowledge and skills in public health. Ultimately, graduates of this program will contribute to the expansion and enhancement of a competent public health workforce that is advancing the well-being of Texas' citizens and beyond. Students in the Professional Option will specifically strengthen their knowledge and skills in public health through the following areas:
- Health Policy and Management
- The MPH student will discuss the policy process for improving the health status of populations.
- The MPH student will apply the principles of program planning, development, budgeting, management and evaluation in organizational and community initiatives.
- The MPH student will apply quality and performance improvement concepts to address organizational performance issues.
- The MPH student will apply basic principles of ethical analysis (e.g., the Public Health Code of Ethics, human rights framework, other moral theories) to issues of public health practice and policy.
- The MPH student will distinguish between population and individual ethical considerations in relation o the benefits, costs, and burdens of public health programs.
- The MPH student will describe the attributes of leadership in public health.
- The MPH student will describe the alternative strategies for collaboration and partnership among organizations, focused on public health goals.
In addition to the MPH admissions requirements applicants to the MPH Professional Option must meet one of the following eligibility requirements:
- Applicants with an advanced degree (e.g., PhD, DO, MD, JD, MSN, MBA, PA; or
- Applicants currently enrolled in a master's or doctoral program other than an MPH; or
- Three or more years of work experience in the health professions.